Monday, December 14, 2009

Welcome to my motorcycle mechanics blog!


I am a avid motorcycle rider, racer and mechanic. I started in the motorcycle field when I acquired my first bike in 1960, a little Honda 50. After I got out of the Air Force I went to work full time at a Honda dealership as a mechanic. In 1974 I started college and in 1984 I started teaching Motorcycle Mechanics and Small Gas Engines at Lake Brantley HS in Altamonte Springs, Fl. I retired from teaching in 2005and in 2000 purchased sole ownership of a small repair shop called "Somethin' Extra Cycles." I still own that shop, but we moved from Florida to Knoxville, Tennessee in 2005.

The purpose of this blog is to help people fix their bikes. Other than that, I hope to make a million dollars doing this. (That's a joke!)

I'm not exactly sure were this is going go but it should be fun. If you have a problem and have had a problem getting it fixed give me a shout and maybe we can fix it together. I have lots of service manuals in my library and lots of experience fixing them.

I don't know didlly about Harleys so if you have a problem with one I will only be able to give basic info about mechanics and not be be specific like I can with Japanese an Euro bikes.

I have a successful background in AMA roadracing with a privateer finish of sixth overall in the 1991 600 Supersport Championship. Several entrys in Superbike Racing and the now defunct EBC Endurace Challenge that we raced from 1985 to 1996. Lots of offroad experiencce in MX and Eastern Hare Scrambles.

I love two-strokes and mildly dislike fourstroke dirt bikes for reasons I may go into later. I don't have a favorite brand of bike, but I do own 2 GSXR 750 roadracers and a GSXR 1000 Streetbike. I also own a 76 Goldwing Pickup, a 1992 XR100, a 2000KX250, a 1980 XS650 Streettracker, a 1996 YZF600R Superbike (modeled after a bike that Sport Rider mag built using an FZR crankshaft), a 1988 Honda Hawk 650, a Chinese, (made in Viet Nam) United Motors 90 ATV, and some other stuff that I don't remember right now.

I am also an opinionated proponent of Road racing in America. I got to race in the AMA during the recent glory years and I have strong views of the current state of disrepair in roadracing, but my opinions are not the purpose of this blog. But if you ask I will respond with my opinions.
So if you have a question ask and I will try and help you fix it.
Always remember rubber side down and metal side up.

1 comment:

  1. Recently I have take part in my first rally and comes to know how important it was to have basic knowledge about repairing the bike.Since then I have decided trying to learn some basic skills from my local mechanic that how to keep my bike in running condition.

    ReplyDelete